Monday, May 17, 2010

Senior Sunday

Yesterday was Senior Sunday in my church.

Never heard of it? Neither had I until we moved into this house 8 years ago.

It is a fabulous tradition.

A couple of Sunday's before high school graduation, all of the seniors in the ward who are graduating are the speakers for the main meeting (sacrament). They usually get a topic from our church's "For the Strength of Youth" pamphlet, like honesty, accountability, etc.

It is by far one of my favorite meetings (the other being the Sunday before Christmas when we sing carols the whole time). The kids are so excited about life and they're heading off to college or missions and the sheer potential of their lives just gets me all giddy. There is also usually a musical number by the youth that is a "put goose bumps on your skin" kind of piece.

This year was no exception. And especially poignant for me because, well, for the first time, I had a senior.

Josh's topic was education. If you know me, you know that education is a pretty important thing at our house, so I wondered how he would approach it.

Josh talked about how our whole life experience is an education. That we have the opportunity to learn formally through school, but also the responsibility to learn from all areas of our lives. He talked about the three things he had learned in high school: 1. To love other people, 2. How to work, and 3. Importance of faith.

He really spoke from the heart. It was personal. It was real. And it was by far my favorite talk (and the best, too, I think, but I might be biased).

All 9 seniors spoke, and they sang "Homeward Bound" for their song. David cried through almost the whole meeting. I smiled and beamed and was so happy.

It was a good day.

2 comments:

Heather said...

I so wish I could have heard that. Josh is such a good kid and is going to do great things in his life.

Unknown said...

I Love that boy!! I can cry just thinking about that meeting. Wish I had been there!! Graduation coming up and we will be there!!!