Sunday, May 30, 2010

A Joyful Graduation


Well, it happened.

My oldest child graduated from high school.

I don't think it has hit me because I didn't shed a single tear at the ceremony. A couple of people asked me how I was doing and if I was okay and honestly, I was doing great! I was happy for Josh and all the other kids, many I've known since 3rd grade. It was a cool ceremony - I wasn't even bored at all and usually, there is at least one speaker where I'm thinking, "Did we really need this one?"

I am excited for Josh and his future. I know he's ready to take the next step and move on with his life. And I don't have any regrets from his high school years because we went to everything that we possibly could: basketball games, soccer games, baseball games, drama productions, heck, I even went to his prom with a raging fever this year just so I could see the kids all dressed up (well worth it; I highly recommend it).

Maybe that's why there's been no tears. I know that he lived these past four years as fully as possible, and I was a part of that as fully as possible, and I feel satisfied and content. Like I've eaten a really good meal, just enough, not too much, and every bite was delectable.

I also know that this boy, my boy, will always be a part of my life.

So, no tears, just joy for all he's accomplished and for all his possibilities.

Josh at age 8 and ten years later at (almost) 18.

3 comments:

Heather said...

I am so proud of you Josh. You have made the most of High School. Good job and congratulations!

nate and marne said...

i love this post. i love that josh made the most of his high school years. he can look back and not have any regrets. that is something not many of us can do. awesome. go josh. and i love the pictures. kris, you look the same, which isn't fair being 10 years later! sheesh!

Tricia said...

How is it that you haven't changed a bit in 20 years? That sweet boy sure has though. Congrats to all!