Monday, May 24, 2010

Payback


Josh graduated from seminary yesterday. It was such a satisfying moment, especially when I thought of all the mornings that he didn't want to go and we insisted that he go and I got tired of making him go. I admit it; there were times when I wanted to just give up the fight and let him have his way. I'm glad I didn't.

One of the speaker's joked with the kids that they were changing titles in the church. Whereas before they had been "young men" and "young women", they were now going to be (cue ominous music) "young single adults." Josh says he's okay with that.

Yesterday in Josh's church class, they asked for a volunteer to be in the hot seat. Josh volunteered. They then proceeded to ask him all kinds of questions about his future plans, like what he was going to do for college and mission and how he was going to live and support himself and a family. Our bishop told me that the leaders all expected Josh to flounder at some point, but he didn't. Josh told me it was because I had already talked to him about a lot of those issues and we'd discussed what he would do (I got a big smile there).

I think this week is going to be one of those gratifying ones where as a parent you get some good back for all the work you put in to your kids.

Yay!

3 comments:

Heather said...

Josh is going to do wonderful things. He is determined and motivated.

Unknown said...

You are so right!! It is pay back time for mom and dad. You will be amazed by how wonderful it feels. It is worth every sacrifice big and small to get kids to where Josh is now. Don't ever give up on any of them. Some may take a detour or two but it is so worth whatever it takes to help them through. Congrats. You are two of the best parents I know. You have let Josh be himself while realizing that he doesn't have to fit a mold to be a good strong worthy son of God. Those who stretch outside the mold often make the best, most valiant leaders. Parents who realize that are wise beyond their years.

kris said...

Thanks, Mama. That means so much to me. I love you
!