Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Can You Say Remodel?

About a month ago, we were sitting around looking at our house and thinking, "You know, we really ought to fix this place up."

This is not a new thought. We bought this house 8 years ago as a "fixer-upper" and zealously set to work and we did really well for a couple of years, but then we ran out of money and we got tired. So we put our blinders on and just lived with it.

We were going to replace the floors in the kitchen and dining room, just something small to start with, but that spread to replacing the countertops and then floors in the family room and basement and the bathrooms...and well, now I'm sitting in the only room on the main floor that is not torn to pieces.

The workmen are tearing out the tile floor we installed 8 years ago (why you ask? David did not like it). We must have done a good job because I have heard the word "jack hammer" tossed around a couple of times and one of the guys said "this is why I should have stayed in school."

I knew we were asking for trouble when we started on the bathrooms - the guys up there are pulling out floorboard and shaking their heads and saying things like "gonna have to pull out the whole thing" and "floor is sloping."

I may be messing up the workmens' vibe because before they realized I was here, I heard some profanity, but it stopped pretty quick once I was introduced. I can't leave--I'm sick, so I hope they find their mojo.

One guy said, "Pretty crazy, huh? It has to get worse before it gets better."

We shall see...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow this is so major!! I am glad you are doing it. It will be beautiful when it's done and your family deserves to enjoy living in a nice home...no more blinders. WE always fixed up to sell so it was frustrating to never get to live in a "nice house". Good for you!!!

Hope you're feeling better soon. This is the 3rd day so it must have been a baaaad bug. Get Well!! Love you!!!

Heather said...

Anthony and I were just talking about when you moved in and all the mold you had and thought they were going to find some serious things wrong in those bathrooms and they did. Crazy, but it will be so beautiful.