Thursday, March 11, 2010

Words


My favorite word is plethora.

It means "a superabundance; an excess" or in my own words "a whole lot."

I try to work this word into my normal conversation and get a secret little thrill of delight when I manage it. It's like I've taken myself to a higher level of functioning because I can say, "Oh - I see we have a plethora of ideas today" rather than "bunches" of ideas.

Well, I told my dad about my secret love of "plethora" and he told me that he does the same thing! Only his word is "ubiquitous" which means "being present everywhere at once." I think that is a harder word and much more difficult to work into normal conversation, plus it doesn't quite roll off the tongue like plethora, but he likes it.

Lately, we've been having a little competition of sorts to work these "super words" into our conversations with each other, and I have to admit, my dad is winning. 'Where does he come up with these words?' I ask myself when they're spilling out one after another. I have my suspicions that he has a little cheat sheet he pulls out right before he calls me so that he can keep me constantly amazed at his dexterous vocabulary.

My husband tried to help me by emailing me unusual words, but it didn't really work. I said, "The word just has to lend itself naturally to the conversation; it can't be forced or it's not as fun."

I think this fascination with words comes from my love of reading, a trait which I also share with my dad. I think the way people talk in books is so wonderful and rich, so much more powerful and expressive than the words most of choose to actually say. There is a bit from the movie National Treasure that I really relate to. Ben is talking to Abigail about their search for the next clue and he's using some really beautiful words and she says, "You know, no one really talks that way anymore." And Ben says, "No, but they think that way." It's true!

So, here's to talking a little more like we think. Less "cool" and more "exhilarating."

I'm sure there's a plethora of words just waiting to be used.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I think you're both nuts!! But it is fun ... and eductional, I even find myself looking for places to use some "50 cent" words. Here's to more a plethora of them.!!

Kellie said...

Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia is a fun word too. And means fear of long words how funny. But there is a longer word smiles it is 2 S's with a mile in between

Heather said...

Yes, I have been apart privy to listen in on these conversations and they are quite funny. I don't have this drive yet but maybe when I turn 30 in 6 months I will.

kris said...

Kellie - you make me laugh. :)

Lori said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lori said...

Kris, I think it must be a Gresko gene because my Dad is also a lover of words like me.

Ever since I was a little girl I had a "word of the day" on my wall and would get excited to open up the dictionary in search of what the word would be. I have always been an avid reader and would check out 12 books a week on summer break. To this day I still do Word of the Day and have a private blog for the new words my kids are learning. If they use the new word in a sentence, they get points for their chart.

Whenever I read a book, I have my pocket dictionary on hand to look up words. Wish I was better at using the words I learn.

Tandy said...

Kris I am so excited that you are blogging so I can keep up with you and your family. I keep in touch with Hailey Hurst through blogging as well. Come to our blog and you can find her. chrisandtandy.blogspot.com

So Saith Queen Natalie said...

And I thought your Dad's favorite word was discombobulated. I have heard that one a time or two or three or four...
-Natalie

Tricia said...

This post totally made me laugh. "Plethora" is one of my favorite words too & I work it into conversation on a regular basis. Love you & miss seeing you Kris!

kris said...

Thanks for reading, guys, and for commenting. It's almost like a real conversation - which I miss having on a regular basis with all of you.