Monday, March 8, 2010

Foxy Lady

I returned home from a late night basketball game to find my daughter's church teacher in the driveway wearing her pajamas.

"Can you give this money to Kellie?" she asked.

"What for?" I said in bewilderment, wondering why she was giving money to my daughter at 9:45 at night.

"Kellie called me and asked me if I would come see the play she's in. When I asked her if I could bring the money tomorrow or if she needed it right now, she said, 'Now would be best.'"

I shook my head and apologized. Kellie was in a play at school (Fabulous Mr. Fox) where she was required to sell a certain number of tickets. The play was the next day, and she'd obviously left it to the last minute...or so I thought.

I took the money to Kellie and scolded her a bit for calling people so late, then was out to get the mail when another neighbor showed up. Also in her pajamas. Also carrying money for Kellie.

By now it was 10:10 and I'm thinking, "I'm really going to have to talk to Kellie about the proper behavior for this type of thing." I started to apologize when the neighbor interrupted me and said, "Don't apologize. Your daughter was inspired to call me. I have had the worst day ever. My husband is out-of-town and I was sitting at home wondering if anyone cared about me at all when your sweet daughter called. I'm here to buy a ticket and I don't even know if I'll use it, but I'm going to tape it to my computer to remind myself that someone out there was thinking about me."

I went in to talk to Kellie and asked her how many tickets she'd sold.

"Well, Mom. I'd already sold all that I had to earlier this week, but one of the other girls was having a really hard time selling hers, so I decided to sell some for her."

I didn't know what to say. I was simply overwhelmed by the sheer goodness of this child of mine.

Comedian Bill Engvall says that the definition of awesome is "something that fills you with awe and wonder."

My Kellie is awesome.


3 comments:

Heather said...

You made me cry. Kellie is awesome. I just love her, as I love all your daughters.

Kellie said...

I know i am awesome!!

nate and marne said...

and so humble kellie!! you really are awesome, by the way. you remind me of myself when i was young, and untouched by the world. now, i'm just kind of cynical and bratty!! :)