Tuesday, March 23, 2010

A Reader

I am a reader.

I know this because when people ask me what my hobbies are, I say "Reading" without even thinking about it. It is my number one, most favorite thing to do.

When I was a girl, there was no library in my town. Instead, we had the Bookmobile. It was a library in a mobile home and once a week it parked right next to my house. From the moment it arrived until it was time to leave, I laid inside on the comfy floor and read. I used to fantasize about being so involved in my book that I didn't realize the engine had started and the Bookmobile drove off with me inside.

I read like a starving person: voraciously. I inhale books in a single gobble, reading as quickly as possible and for hours at a time. At least the first time. I will reread books I love over and over and over again. This weekend I read Hunger Games and Catching Fire in about 8 hours. I will definitely read both of them again when the third book comes out in August.

Jenna reads like me. I think she's read Harry Potter so many times she can quote it from memory. Kellie is a methodical reader. She reads because it must be done, but she has a thing for comic books. Alissa loves to read, but only once. Not a re-reader. Katie is still figuring it out, but fortunately she likes Junie B. Jones and Diary of a Wimpy Kid so we get to laugh a lot when we read together.

Josh is in an AP Literature class that is killing him. Much to my dismay, he is not a reader, and the books they are reading are not for the faint of heart. For his winter term final, he had to write a paper on the book Heart of Darkness. I helped him with the paper, but I hadn't read the book, so didn't find out until afterwards that he had misunderstood a major component of his thesis. His teacher offered to let him rewrite it, so I said, "Josh, you read the book and I'll read the book and I'll help you with the rewrite."

It was a hard book. And, I thought, a little boring.

In fact, if I hadn't been reading it to help Josh, I would have set it aside after the first chapter.

But I persevered and finished it and now Josh and I have something we're bonded in.

I wanted to bond some more, so I handed him Hunger Games and said, "Josh, this is a great book. It's almost R-rated because of all the violence. I think you'd like it. Give it a try."

He read the first chapter on Sunday and said, "Hmm....interesting."

Yesterday he read more and stayed up 'til 3 am to finish the book.

I have not give up hope that he may also be ....a reader.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

People who don't like to read for pleasure are missing on of the most rewarding things in life. Books enrich my life. They take me to places I'll never see and give me access to experiences I'll never have. I can get lost in a book. I feel bad for people who don't "like to read". They are missing sooooooo much!!

Heather said...

Oh, oh, a favorite of mine. I love that book. The last one comes out in August. I have pre-ordered on Amazon. Lord Sunday came today and the last of the Fablehaven series came out today. I LOVE to read too. I actually started to read because I wanted to be more like you. I didn't like to read but I knew you did. I read Heart of Darkness my senior year in my AP english class. I too failed my thesis. I got it wrong. The book made no sense to me and it was sooooo boring. Don't watch the movie, its even worse.

Kellie said...

Mom I do not like comic books. I like books that are exciting like the Percy Jackson books of Among the Hidden. But it is true that I only read if I have too.... with some books (Like Tom Sawyer) I hate reading books over unless I forget what they are about. I don't like to read because I read a page in 2 minutes. It took me like 52 hours to read The Lightning Thief because I read so slowly. I like sports and being athletic, not sitting down and reading.... that's why I like books on tape I can do whatever I want and still listen to the book. I will read a book but it has to be a book that I wouldn't get distracted by because I do that a lot. I am not a multi-tasker unless it comes to doing things actively. So that is my opinion .... I will read if I like what is going on within the first 3 pages.
(why do you think I like ancient Egypt... they were always doing something) I will read the new book The Red Pyramid it is like Percy Jackson but about Egypt instead of Greek myths

kris said...

I'm glad you set me straight, Kellie, and I'm glad you're reading my blog. :)