Saturday, March 27, 2010

A Quick Trip to the Store


This morning I went to the grocery store in my pajamas, thick socks, flip flops, and yes, I'll admit it, no bra (but I had on a jacket so you couldn't tell). I didn't even brush my hair. Well, I finger-combed it, but it wasn't very effective. Stacey and Clinton from What Not To Wear would have been appalled. I can just hear them:

"I was only going to the grocery store," I exclaim.

"But we have to see you!" they protest.

It was 8:00 am on a Saturday so I figured I'd be safe. Only one employee looked at me kind of funny when I walked in, but I didn't know her so it didn't really bother me.

I grabbed the few things I needed and was headed to the check-out stand when I heard, "Well, hello Kris! How are the Crowther's?" Yes, it was someone I knew, who gave me a very funny look after appraising my entire outfit. I kept the conversation brief: "We're fine" and booked it out of there.

I've engaged in such risky behavior before, but I am much more cautious than I used to be after hearing this story.

My mom had to run kids to school, so she hopped in the car wearing just her robe and her underclothes. She dropped off the kids and was heading home when the car ran out of gas. There she was in bare feet, a robe, no purse, no cell phone (they weren't common then), and my little sister in tow (also in her pj's). My mom was forced to knock on the door of the nearest house to ask if she could use their phone to call my dad.

I have learned from this little incident: I always wear shoes, I always take my purse, and I always have a coat if it's winter....but I don't comb my hair or wear a bra.

I have learned, but you've got to take some risks.

5 comments:

Lori said...

LOL, :) I've done this a lot.
One thing I've learned is that I can never go to Costco or Target unless I look my best. There is always someone I know shopping there. If I try and sneak into the grocery store looking a mess, I'm praying that I don't bump into someone I know.
I don't normally wear make up and usually scramble to put it on when I'm waiting at red lights, or in the parking lot at the school. I shower at least once a day (sometimes twice) but I hate having to style my hair so it's usually thrown into a bun or pony tail.

Unknown said...

I remember that experience very well. It was you I was taking to school and the car died in the left turn lane at southern andGilbert rd.You and I got out and pushed the car through the intersection into the parking lot of a store on the corner. By then you were late for school so I told you to walk the two blocks and go to school. Then I started walking home, carrying Heather, she was bare foot too.(she was six and quite a bit too heavy for me to carry for long.) A car stopped and asked me if I needed help. After assessing the driver,(It was a middle aged woman)I broke the cardinal rule of NEVER getting into the car of a stranger and asked her to take me home. She was very generous to agree to do so, even tho it was ten miles east on the freeway. I was mortified, humiliated, embarrassed and relieved at the same time. The Lord sent me a good samaritan that day. I can't say that I never go out looking undressed and ungroomed. But I always have my shoes on.

Heather said...

I remember that too. I remember mom saying everything would be okay and her wearing that big ugly blue robe and I was very worried that people would see me with her wearing it. I always wear shoes but am often in my pj bottoms but never without a bra.

So Saith Queen Natalie said...

I love it! I love these stories. Great memories to laugh about. Heather, you must go bra-less at least once to a store. It is very liberating, and it makes you shop faster. Feeling as though someone could suspect you at any moment for being a little too free and easy is a good motivater to get out of there fast!

So Saith Queen Natalie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.