Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The Prayers of a Friend


A friend sent me an email yesterday telling about an adviser to Winston Churchill during World War II who organized a group of people who dropped what they were doing every day at a prescribed hour for one minute to collectively pray for the safety of England, its people and peace.

I've been thinking a lot about prayer lately, particularly as I find myself wanting to DO something about the people and situations in my life.

There are so many things beyond my control: my mom's and grandpa's and sister-in-law's cancer, the struggles at my kids' school, a student who's traveling down the wrong path, my kids' taking finals.....I am a "do"er, but there isn't a whole lot I can do to "fix" any of these things.

Consequently, I find myself in a constant state of prayer. One of these people or situations will come to my mind and I'll pray: for peace, for guidance, for healing, for hope, for faith, for patience. It brings me comfort to know that I am doing something, really all I can for them...turning it over to God, who I believe has His hand over all things. And I believe that God hears and responds.

The power of prayer. It is a mighty thing, I think, and a powerful tool to use in behalf of another.

I find myself increasingly touched by people who tell me "I'm praying for you." It seems to me a precious thing that a person would exercise their faith in my behalf.

Orrin Hatch wrote a song called "I'll Pray For You" that I think of often these days. The chorus goes:
So I'll pray for you
and you pray for me.
Together we'll both see us through
We'll not suppose
Only God truly knows
What the prayers of a friend can do.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Somehow when there doesn't seem to be anything you can do to help the problem situations in your life and in the lives of others you love, prayer is the one thing that brings comfort and assurance that you are doing all you can when you offer a prayer. prayer is a powerful thing... It has saved me many times during the last year. I am gratefull and humbled by the prayers and faith of others in my behalf. I pray all the day long. And I am thankful for the testimony I have of prayer. I would be lost without it.

Heather said...

Prayer is our only means of communication with the Lord and the line is never busy. I keep mine of fast dial these days.