Thursday, April 1, 2010

Waiting

When I woke up to snow this morning, my first thought was, "I'm still waiting for spring."

I refused to wear a coat even though it was 32 degrees and I could see my breath. "I'm waiting for spring," I said and so I only wore a sweater. Fortunately, I also have a space heater by my desk which has been spouting lovely, warm, spring-type air all day. The space heater helps me to cheerfully (well, almost cheerfully) endure the wait.

Waiting seems to be a significant part of life, much more so than I realized.

So it seems important to figure out the things that help make the waiting bearable, maybe even character-building. Like Disneyland: they are pros at managing the "wait" - have you ever seen happier masses of people standing in long lines for hours at a time to go on a 2-minute ride?

This month I have been waiting to see if the school I love will raise the funds it needs to survive. It has been painful, like being slowly stretched on a medieval torture rack. Things that have helped me endure the wait: prayer, fasting, prayer, positive thoughts, prayer, Cadbury chocolate eggs, prayer, work, and did I mention prayer?

I can honestly say that my character and my faith have grown immensely, along with my gratitude for all the good in my life. I've especially learned to appreciate each moment, but I have to admit, I'm feeling a little haggard.

Gratefully, this wait will be over tomorrow - sometimes just knowing, whether it's good or bad, is easier than waiting.

And the sun just peeped out of the clouds, so maybe the wait for spring will be over soon, too.

1 comment:

Lori said...

I was totally picturing Braveheart when I read the medieval line. :D
Cold weather is the ultimate torture for me. I hope Spring comes to you soon and your school will be ok.
You are such a talented writer!