Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Mom and Dad

It's really not fair to post this photo of my mom in her infamous blue robe, but I snagged this picture right before I left to come home from Arizona and it was early in the morning.

Mom and Dad....they have been the constants in my life. I cannot think of a single moment that they are not a part of, or at least the background to.

For them, family is everything, and I have a hard time explaining the strength that that gives me to go out into the world and try all kinds of things. I only know that I have tried to give that same feeling to my children hoping that they will feel the same empowerment.

When I worked in the hospital, one of the little old ladies I was caring for told me that her mother had recently passed away.

"I feel like an orphan," she said.

I must have given her a funny look (because she was 80+ and I was thinking she was too old to be an orphan) and she said, "No matter how old you are when you lose your parents, you feel like an orphan."

It's true. And I hope I won't know that feeling myself for a long time.

Love you, Mom and Dad.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ahh my trust furry blue robe!! It has been a part of my life for many years. It is still warm and snuggly and I still wear it when I am cold. IT has seen many of my life experiences...good and bad. It never fails to warm me up...inside and out.

Family IS one of very few things that REALLY matter in this life. It is one of few things that can remain intact into the eternities. Nothing is more important than nurturing your family. Keeping family a priority is one of the responsibilities that never ends...not even when your children are grown adults with children of their own. I will always be your Mom and you will always be my child. It is heart breaking to witness the disintigration of the family throughout the world. It is the root of much evil and suffering in our world today. And its destruction and perversion is one of Sathan's highest priorities. He can destroy thousands of Heavenly Father's children by destroying the family. Instilling sacred feelings for family is one of the best ways to protect your children from the evils of the world. The traditional family unit was established from the begining by God as the ideal environment in which to teach children how to live so that they can return to the Lord one day. Teaching sacred feelings for family is one of our most important calling from the Lord. Family is Family ..no matter what. Forever and Ever. You're doing a great job. "The greatest work you will ever do is within the walls of your own home."Love you tons!!!

Lori said...

What a touching post!