Monday, April 5, 2010

Sun and the Scent of Orange Blossoms

Today I wore shorts for the first time in almost 6 months. I also wore flip-flops. And short sleeves. With no jacket. It was glorious.

Arizona springs are a balm to the soul. When we arrived last night and got out of the car, the light breeze sent the smell of orange blossoms flooding over us. I inhaled deeply and thought, "ahhhh."

I have lived in Utah for 22 years, and while I love the beauty of the mountains and the beautiful trees, there is nothing like the green of an Arizona desert in spring and that orange blossom scent.

The girls and I visited the Casa Grande Ruins; we were hoping for a hike so we could be outdoors for awhile. We didn't get to hike, but we did get to wander around an ancient dwelling and hypothesize about its purpose (our best guess came from Jenna: a temple or religious building of some sort). We also saw a snake (a real one - it brought excitement from all the folks in the area) and Alissa's wish came true. She said all she wanted to see was a cactus with flowers on it. We found one at the end of our visit. Then we went to Jack-In-The-Box and ordered 15 tacos and made Katie's dreams come true by going to Bahama Buck's for shaved ice.

Bless you, Arizona, for a beautiful day, and for smelling like orange blossoms again tonight.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Arizona springs are glorious. We thorougly enjoy them tremendously. Our stay in doors 24 hrs a day season is coming with the summer heat. I keep telling myself that it's better than staying inside for 6 months because of the cold and snow because we can still see the sun every day during the summer when utah winters are famous for days on end without the sun.

Heather said...

That is the exact same thing I said to Anthony when I stepped out of the car when we got there last week. That smell is glorious. I am so glad you get to enjoy the wonderful weather and wear those flip flops finally.

kris said...

I agree with you, Mom. Kellie pointed that out yesterday. She said, "We still inside for 6 months because it's cold and then we stay inside in the summer because it's hot, so we only go outside for like 2 months. I want to be where I can go outside more." :)