Monday, April 19, 2010

Meet the Neighbors

Funny things happen when you go door-to-door asking for sponsors. Here's a few stories from Katie and Alissa as they have been getting sponsors for a 5K run they are in this week:

Katie: "Hello - I am going to be running a 5K to raise money for my school."
Neighbor: "What school?"
Katie: "Meridian."
Neighbor: "What kind of a school is that-public, charter?"
Katie: "It's a private school."
Neighbor: (snotty tone) "I thought private schools were supposed to be rich."
Katie: "We're on a tight budget, sir."

Alissa: "Would you like to sponsor me in a run for my school?"
Neighbor: "What kind of a school is it?"
Alissa: "It's a private school."
Neighbor: "Well, seeing as how yesterday was tax day and I have to pay taxes to support the public schools, I don't have any money to pay to private schools."
[door closes in her face]

Alissa knocks on the door.
Door opens.
Person takes a look at envelope in her hands and says,"We don't want to buy anything." Door closes.
Alissa to closed door, "I'm not selling anything."

And finally, a good one:
Alissa: "I am running in a 5K to raise money for my school."
Nice Lady: "What kind of a school?"
Alissa: "It's a private school."
Nice Lady: "Oh, I went to a private school. It was wonderful! What grade are you in?"
Alissa: "5th grade."
Nice Lady: "Oh, I loved fifth grade! What things are you studying?"
[Conversation continues sharing what they're learning and experiences.]
Nice Lady: "Well, here's $20 for your school, and I'll bet you're thirsty. Would you like a drink?"
[Nice Lady gives Capri Sun to Alissa]
Alissa: "Thank you."
Nice Lady: "Good luck!"

Thank you, Nice Lady, for being so good to my daughter and to all my neighbors who generously and graciously treated my girls so kindly.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Some people don't hve any manners whatsoever!!! Especially shameful to be mean to children. Hugs for Alissa and Katie.ooooooo

Heather said...

They were very rude. Why would you say those things to a child? They don't need to know your political view, just say sorry we can't at this time and move on. I would pledge something to there 5k. Tell them to give me a call.

Heather said...

I also saw that Jenna and Kellie both did very well at the Language fair. Good job girls.

Kellie said...

Thanks Heather!! I'm excited to see you next week!!! :)