Sunday, October 2, 2011

Sporty Girls

Early on in our family, when we were having girls, girls, and more girls, David voiced his opinion on which direction we should try to steer their interests:

"I want them to be sporty girls," he said. "Girls who can play sports are a lot cooler to guys than girlie girls." (Although attracting the guys is the last thing he wants for them now!)

Add to that statement an oft-spoken disdain for cheerleading and other "girlie" pursuits and you end up with what we have now: a houseful of sporty girls.

They are pretty cool, I must admit.


And strong. These girls can endure and overcome all kinds of troubles and difficulties; in short, they can do hard things. Every time I watch them run a race or compete in a game and see them sweating or hurting or struggling, and then watch them push through it and finish with determination, I am in awe.

These amazing creatures are my children.

Now, lest you think we haven't allowed them the opportunity to explore all their interests, let it be known that I put them all in dance classes (much to the chagrin of their dad, but he did pay for it and attend all their performances, with flowers and a smile). But it was the sports that stuck.
[They also all play various instruments, perform in plays, and are excellent students. But that is another story...]

The really great thing now is that we have so many activities that we can do together as a family: hiking and running and basketball and soccer. Plus, they're good for us! Keeps the ever-aging mom and dad spry and agile (or at least moving).

So I'm grateful that my good husband put a plug in for sporty girls. I love 'em!


Playing hoops with Dad.

8 comments:

nate and marne said...

i love that they are sporty! i never was sporty or girlie, just a girl. hehe. these girls really are amazing, and i love to see what they are up to all the time!!

Heather said...

I too love watching your girls. Anthony wants this for Taryn but alas I am not on board. He has 3 sons who can be sporty, I get the girl. BUT unless you think I am keeping her from sports, without an prodding from me or Anthony, she has started putting on her own ballet parties. She reminds us all day long she is a princess and wants her dancing shoes on. She is the ultimate girlie girl. I almost have Anthony convinced that she will have to go into dance she loves it so much. But it will be Irish dance, as that is the most wholesome of all dance forms I think. I can't wait to get home and watch your girls play basketball. They are playing right? They have coaches now?

Heather said...

Anthony did try and take Taryn to play badminton, she ran around the court leaping and twirling and pretending it was a wand.

Tony said...

hmm, somehow Heather left out the part where she had her own racquet and loved badminton... and that she asks me to play catch... but the real story here is that I love hearing about your girls and their sporting adventures! I would love to run with them when we get back, but alas, I would be left in their dust. At least the older ones.. maybe Katie will run with me? Think I could keep up with her?

kris said...

It's going to be up to you, Tony, and you may have to buy her some sporty clothes because a girl cannot be sporty when she is always wearing super cute dresses! :)

kris said...

Oh - and Tony, you should definitely run with the girls. You can always see them at the start and then the finish...and they are great supporters of us "slower" runners. The Rex Lee Run in March? I think so!

Heather said...

Kris, is the Rex Lee run the run for Cancer research and you can run in honor of someone who died of cancer? If so, I actually really want to do that run and have my boys run with me. That means I will actually have to run. Uggg, I really hate that part.

kris said...

Heather - yes, last year I ran in Mom's honor. They gave me a paper with her name on it that I wore for the race and I made a donation to cancer research in her behalf. You can walk if you want to :)