Sunday, January 2, 2011

New


I purchased new bedding. I love it! I seriously sleep better under it. I've spent the last two days finding new drapery and new shower curtains and new rugs. I was thinking this morning about new: new year, new resolutions, new life. There's just something about new...I think that's why one of the most popular air fresheners is "new car smell."

I like the idea of starting with something fresh, something that hasn't been used up, damaged, altered, marred. Our first house as a married couple was new. We were the first to live there, the first to paint walls and hang pictures and make memories. When I dream, I am in that first house (trying to figure out how to make my whole family fit - it was a small home!)

I love the early morning because it is the start of a new day. I am usually the first in my house to greet it and I relish the quiet and beauty of the sun coming through the windows and the peaceful sleep of my family and knowing that I have hours in front of me to accomplish whatever I have to do.

I am thinking that I need to make a plan for the new year. With the loss of my mom, it is even more apparent to me that I want to live life deliberately. To take what is new and work it into something meaningful.

4 comments:

Heather said...

I love your new set. It is so cheery. I have been looking for a new one for over a year now and Anthony and I can't agree. Enjoy the new.

kris said...

Go to Target - I couldn't decide between 4 different ones. I stood there for like an hour.

Lori said...

I love starting new too and I hate to have any clutter in my home, but then I'm also sentimental so I have this internal conflict going on. I end up fixing most things (usually with the hot glue gun I keep in a holster) or saving them in a keepsake box, because I can't bear to let them go. I also worry I may end up using them one day. I'm not a hoarder though. It was really hard to Craigslist items from my home recently, but it feels so good to have an emptier garage and simple life.

I do have a new haircut and color for the new year though. I love the feeling of new makeup, or new hair, new clothes, etc. Even when I buy second hand clothes it still gives me the feeling of new.

Lori said...

Your post brought to mind one of our favorite quotes "tomorrow is a new day, with no mistakes in it yet." ~Anne of Green Gables