Friday, February 12, 2010

Deep Throat and Donuts

We had donuts for breakfast this morning.

This is a sure sign that my dad is visiting because my dad ALWAYS gets donuts his first morning in our house. It is tradition. I would say this is because he is an early riser, but he would say it is because he is a poor sleeper.

He tries to fool the kids by saying that he is going to get milk. This is a plausible excuse because I am frequently out of milk. We drink a lot of milk at our house, gallons and gallons a week. But my daughter, Kellie, was not fooled. "He's going to get milk and donuts....and lemon cake." (The lemon cake is a new addition - only in Utah from the Day's Market by our house). She was right.

My kids get up early when my dad is here. The same children who I have to drag from bed in the morning and who will readily sleep 'til 10 or later if allowed are up at 6:00am so they can laugh with my dad.

My dad has a deep, booming laugh. Deep like the depths of the ocean and booming like a fog horn. When he laughs, it penetrates you, vibrates your chest, and you just have to laugh with him. Today, he and Kellie and Jenna were vibrating the whole house. It was awesome.

So this morning, in the dim light, my kids gathered around my dad to eat donuts and laugh.

I'm glad.

3 comments:

Heather said...

I love reading your writing, maybe you will become a famous blogger and I will say you are my sister. I can't write like her but I am related. She got all the talents and looks, me I just love to bask in her glory. You are glorious.

And Dad and doughnuts, they just go to gether.

nate and marne said...

we had donuts this morning too! apparently these gresko men think alike. i love your dad's laugh too. it is like a fog horn, good description! and heather, i can say i'm related to both of you, HA! what an awesome family to have married into!!

Unknown said...

We had so such a good time up there. It was nice to feel like everything is normal for a while. We love you guys. and donuts, lemon cake from days, and grand kids. They are the joy of our lives!!