Tuesday, February 9, 2010

An Elitist

Yesterday, someone called me an elitist.

I sent an email inviting friends to an open house at the school my kids attend. I really love this school and I wanted folks to visit. I wasn't pushy - honest - I just said, "If you're curious about private schools, come check it out."

Someone emailed me back and said, "Sorry, I am not an elitist."

Inferring that I am. Me. An elitist. Because my kids go to private school.

"Private school" is a bad word(s) in Utah. I think we have the lowest percentage of students attending private schools of any state in the U.S. (3%). You'd think with so many folks here wanting to get into BYU (a private school) that people would be a little more open to the idea...nope.

I went to public school as a kid and didn't really think too much about other options (I'm not even sure there were any). And when I had my own kids, I sent them off to the local public school along with the rest of the neighborhood. But some things bugged me, and after spending a couple of years trying to fix them, I decided to explore my options.

I found Meridian School.

It is really a great school, and I'm always a little confused that others don't see it. But, to each his own, and I try to respect that we all have the right to spend our hard-earned dollars on the things that are most important to us, be it cars, homes, vacations, sports, dancing lessons, music, or education.

I just wish others would allow me the same right, and maybe even attempt to see that I'm not trying to better than you, I'm just trying to have my kids be the best they can be.

So I replied to my email antagonist (I admit in a not-so-friendly way) and got this back, "Oh, yes, YOUR children deserve more."

My response: "Yes, my children DO deserve more...and so do yours."

My kids on the first day of school.

4 comments:

nate and marne said...

wow, that is quite the word, isn't it? and for the record, i don't think it is bad that you want your kids to do their best, and they have an amazing education. they are more prepared for college than any school i know of can. i get kind of the same response when i tell people my kids go to franklin instead of the local neighborhood school. luckily next year, it will turn into a franklin, and make this so much easier!! i'm glad to see a new post on here. and i think you handled it well!

Lori said...

Kris, if we ever moved to that area of Utah, that is the school I want them in. Their education is the most important purchase we make, especially considering how many hours they spend at school. I would make sacrifices to make sure our kids have the best education options available. Kids spend more time with teachers each weekday than their own parents! Your a good Mom, not an elitist.

Heather said...

Oh Kris, I am so sorry, but super glad this person got you blogging again. You are not an elitest. Just searching for the best for her kids, and your kids do deserve the best, cause they are the best.

Tony said...

In high school I was in a group that was accused of being an "elitist" group. Why? Because the group was limited in size and so they accepted applications, required a teacher's recommendation and interviewed new applicants to limit personality conflicts.

My take away: Elitism is a handy accusation when trying label any organization that maintains high standards by selecting its members in one way or another.

So I wonder what your friends' real issue was? Worried her kids wouldn't make it academically? Upset because there were "selected out" financially? Or some other viable concern they couldn't put into words?

Sorry, I'm not very good at short comments;)