Friday, December 3, 2010

The Saga of the MoTab/David Archuleta Tickets

I was one of the millions of people who did NOT receive tickets to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir with David Archuleta Christmas Concert. I was pretty disappointed, so you can imagine my delight when a few days after the announcement, I received a card from my sister wishing me a happy birthday (my birthday is Dec. 17) and containing 4 tickets to the concert!

Enter the problem: the tickets were for Dec. 16 and daughter #2 has her ballroom dance concert that night. What to do? Maybe I could trade for another night? I posted my dilemma on Facebook and offered to trade my 4 tickets for another night. No takers.

Not ready to give up, I posed the same offer to the sisters in my ward during Relief Society. MANY were willing to take the tickets off my hands, but no one had received any themselves. One person suggested I try posting my trade on ksl.com - so I did.

By this time, daughter #1 had made the basketball team and had a game on Dec. 17, husband had meetings Dec. 19 morning, so my only available trade night was Dec. 18. I put that stipulation in my offer (Thursday for Saturday) but received only offers for Friday, Sunday morning & of course, "we'd be happy to use those tickets in your place." I also noticed quite a few offers to buy the tickets, but was focused on the trade.

Two weeks passed without success and I was beginning to contemplate other options: 1) skip daughter #2's concert & take some of my family on Thursday, 2) skip daughter #1's game & take some of family on Friday, 3) skip church & leave husband & one daughter at home and go to Sunday morning's concert, 4) sell? This was a bit of a dilemma for me because the tickets were free to begin with and it seemed a little off to get money for them. However, the tickets were also my birthday gift, and if I sold them, I could use the money to buy tickets to a different performance for my whole family. I really want to go to a performance and I really want all my kids & husband to come.

Yesterday, I received another offer from someone to take my tickets if I couldn't find a trade. I replied and asked if they would be willing to pay for the tickets. They replied back, " No thanks. You got the tickets for free and are not meant to be sold." I was a little miffed - it is no fun to be scolded, especially not by a stranger. I then checked KSL and Hurray! found a trade for Saturday. Within moments, I also got an email from someone offering $25/ticket.

Dilemma: do I make the trade and take 4 of my family on Saturday (leaving 2 at home)? or do I sell the tickets and go to a different show with everyone?

3 comments:

Tandy said...

I say make the trade because then for sure you wont have to worry about your conscience. We have tickets for Saturday.

nate and marne said...

that is quite the dilemma!! wow, i think i would probably sell them and take everyone so noone is left out. that is, if the littler girls even want to go. that is the kicker. my kids could care less about concerts, but i am taking rebekah to mine on sat. we'll see how it goes. good luck! and i love all the new pics. awesome!

Heather said...

I would make the trade. Who are you taking with you?